Communities in Motion
One in five children in the U.S. have obesity—excess weight above measured body fat based on height and weight. Children with obesity have an 80 percent chance of becoming an adult with obesity. The disease of obesity can greatly affect bone and joint health. It also can cause soft-tissue damage and osteoarthritis, also known as “wear and tear” arthritis of the joints, among other life-long health conditions.
Orthopaedic surgeons—the bone and joint health specialists—know it is important to get up, get out and get moving. That is why they want to help keep the world in motion through the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions through “Communities in Motion.”
The Academy piloted a family fitness event—called “Communities in Motion”—during its March 2017 Annual Meeting in San Diego. The Communities in Motion event is a new extension of the A Nation in Motion® campaign.
The event will features a series of interactive challenge stations highlighting specific bone and joint areas. Communities in Motion is an opportunity for orthopaedic surgeons and other health experts to showed people of all ages how to have fun and exercise together to build strong bones for life.
Attendees completing all stations “earned” a swag bag filled with portable exercise equipment to take home, educational pamphlets/materials to help guide them post-event, and information on additional online bone and joint resources.
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
3:30 – 6:00 PM
Spring Valley East Communities Center, in collaboration with San Diego Youth Services (SDYS) and the Spring Valley Youth and Family Coalition. The AAOS built a Family Fitness and Fun Park at SDYS in 2011 which will be incorporated into the 2017 event.
The 2017 Communities in Motion event, in partnership with SDYS, was made possible, thanks to the generous donations from:
- Zimmer Biomet
- DePuy Synthes
- Dr. Alan & Gittel Hilibrand
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Physician Assistants in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Dr. Thomas E. & Paula A. Daniel
- Foundation for Orthopedic Trauma
- Aesculap, Inc.
- Bonutti Technologies
- Orchid Orthopedic Solutions
- Association of Residency Coordinators in Orthopaedic Surgery
- Dr. Basil & Amirra Besh
- Dr. David L. & Gail Cannon
- DJO Global
- Dr. Howard R. & Phyllis G. Epps
- Dr. David & Katie Halsey
- Dr. Stuart & Lisa Hirsch
- Dr. Jeffrey A. Greenberg
- Dr. Claudette M. Lajam & Christopher Clark
- Drs. Elizabeth Matzkin & Eric Smith
- National Association of Orthopaedic Nurses
- Paragon Medical, Inc.
- Dr. Michael F. & Eileen Schafer
- Dr. Gerald R. & Robin K. Williams
- Dr. Alan & Elizabeth K. Reznik
Interested in making a financial donation?
Support the Communities in Motion event in San Diego: